Virtual Design & Construction Engineer (#11730) - Los Angeles, CA
Industry: Commercial Concrete & Tilt-Up
United Employment Group is seeking a Virtual Design & Construction Engineer in Los Angeles, CA.
This position is responsible for the development, refinement, and implementation of Building Information Models (BIM) and other Virtual Design & Construction technology, documentation, and representations.
- The VDC Engineer is responsible for virtual construction needs in Preconstruction, Construction Operations and Consulting/Litigation Support Services departments.
- The VDC Engineer is a power-user of all company’s VDC software programs
- The position requires a self-motivated, open-minded, and dedicated individual who is willing to take on new challenges.
- The VDC Engineer is based in CA, but travels to jobsites and partner offices as needed and may work out of jobsites as required
- The position reports to Virtual Design & Construction Coordinator
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and coordinate 3D object-oriented models
- Create 5D visual simulations incorporating BIM+TIME+COST using Navisworks or Synchro
- Perform clash detections
- Perform 3D scanning using Trimble 3D scanner and Layout of work using Trimble Robotic Total Station
- Process actual job cost, model-based quantity report, model based quantity take-off and actual schedule information back into the model for as-built project control, risk analysis and historical reference
- Create Formwork and concrete lift and placement drawings for horizontal and vertical control and general assembly drawings
- Support Preconstruction and Business Development efforts as requested by creating photorealistic Imagery using Artlantis and other rendering engines
- Perform project document management (RFIs, submittals and PCOs, NOC, etc.)
- Process raw 3D point cloud scan files in software suites such as Trimble REALWORKS, Scene, Rythm or similar software and produce registered files
- Produce as-built models based on the scan files using Trimble REALWORKS or similar software and/or TEKLA Structures
- Convert and correct building model files or 3D scanned point clouds as needed to create rapid prototype 3D printable objects using Materialise Magics and SpaceClaim
- Perform completeness and constructability reviews under supervision and issue and manage RFIs
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering or construction related field or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years in building or design industry preferred, but not required.
- Understanding concepts of VDC or BIM
- Exposure to and preliminary experience with some Building Information Model (BIM) systems (i.e. Autodesk Revit, Bentley, Vico Constructor, TEKLA, Synchro, Navisworks, Sketchup and similar software suites) required
- Excellent computer skills, including high level of proficiency in MS Office, Adobe Acrobat and BlueBeam
- Strong personal management skills, dedication, organization, and open-mindedness required
- Creative thinker with ability to work in a close-knit environment
- Other duties as may be assigned by supervisors