Tool & Die Maker (#6624) - IL
Industry: Metal Stamping
We are currently seeking Tool & Die Makers for a Metal Stamping facility located in IL.
Job Description Summary
The Tool and Die maker will analyze specifications, as well as machine tool and parts to fabricate dies from raw steel stock. In addition, this individual will be responsible for the repair of existing dies.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Verify dimensions, alignments and clearances of finished parts for conformance to specifications using measuring instruments such as calipers, micrometers, gauge blocks, and dial indicators.
• Select or recommend metals and alloys to be used for tooling based on hardness and heat tolerance.
• Set up and operate conventional machine tools such as drill press, lathes, milling machines, and grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to described dimensions and finishes.
• Study blueprints, sketches, or specifications to plan sequences of operations for fabricating tools, dies or assemblies.
• Inspect finished dies for smoothness, finish, contour conformity, and defects.
• Machine and assemble progressive and multi-slide dies.
• Conduct test runs with completed tooling or dies to ensure that production parts will meet specifications.
• Fit and assemble parts to make repairs or modify dies.
• Experience utilizing a press fit, slip fit and tolerance. Ability to use lathes, milling machine, grinders, drill machine, gauge blocks, dial indicators, calipers and micrometers.
• Experience working with a broad range of materials including tool steel, Teflon, aluminum, etc.
• Ability to use lathes, milling machine, grinders, drill machine, gauge blocks, dial indicators, calipers and micrometers. As well as an understanding of the impacts of heat treat prior to grinding.
Education and Training
• H.S. Diploma or equivalent and at least 5 years of experience fabricating dies for automated or other related equipment.