Refrigeration Engineer (#10711) - Lexington, KY
Industry: Design and Construction
Required to have a minimum of 7 years of experience in Mechanical engineering with a focus in Industrial Refrigeration engineering.
REFRIGERATION ENGINEER - Lexington, KY
Job Title: Refrigeration Engineer (EIT /PE), Food and Beverage
Department: Architects and Engineers, PSC
Reports To: Director, A/E Services, Food and Beverage
Prepared Date: May 2019
Who we are?
We are a top-ranked design-build contractor offering architecture, engineering and construction services to domestic and international customers throughout the U.S. It’s the spirit of the people – passion, commitment and a great team environment – that makes our company a great place to work. Our purpose is to make a difference in people’s lives by creating unforgettable customer experiences and great projects. The people of our company exemplify our core values: we put safety and quality of life first, we are customer and relationship driven and we demonstrate the golden rule - we treat others the way we want to be treated.
Who we want… (Requirements)
- The new team member is required to have a minimum of 7 years of experience in Mechanical engineering with a focus in Industrial Refrigeration engineering. Preference will be given to candidates with design of food and beverage processing facilities and with a Professional Engineering License.
- Must possess basic computer skills including the ability to utilize word processing, spreadsheet and e-mail applications. Also, utilize programs for calculating loads and performing cost analysis. Proficiency with AutoCAD and Revit is required.
- The candidate must be physically located in the Lexington, KY office.
- The new team member should be an energetic, self-motivated individual who enjoys a team environment, as well as a passion for collaboration and professional development. If you are a self-directed high achiever striving to exceed expectations in a fast-paced innovative company, then this is the place for you.
What we expect… (Essential Functions)
- The Refrigeration Engineer, Food and Beverage will coordinate the interrelating activities of subcontractors, suppliers, vendors and customers, design and engineering efforts. Will monitor and report on the financial status of the project(s) and is responsible for subcontract and contract administration. Develop job progress schedule to ensure that actual construction parallels with the schedule. Assist with the purchase and monitor the delivery of all needed materials for the project(s) ensuring optimum prices, quality and conformance to specifications.
- Assist in the negotiation of contracts with subcontractors and vendors for various trades, ensuring that all phases of the work are encompassed and that a clear definition of work responsibility is defined. Assist in the review and approval of subcontractor and vendor payment requests. Issue changes in the work to receive prices from subcontractors in a timely fashion. Work with design and project managers to ensure project(s) is/are designed, procured and constructed within the boundaries of operating guidelines, while conforming to technical requirements and ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Prepare various reports to successfully assist in the management of project(s), such as monthly financial reporting, progress analysis/schedules, billings and status reports. Organize and maintain job files to ensure continuity of work flow. Submit verbal and written reports on project status to management. Review shop drawings and submittals to ensure compliance with scope of work.
- Will participate and be responsible for estimating efforts relative to the project(s) and proposal preparation efforts. Responsible for the communication, implementation and enforcement of our safety and quality programs on site.
- Independently applies advanced engineering techniques and analysis within the discipline. Develops designs that require innovation and ingenuity. Work performed with minimal supervision; has considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignments.
- Participates in planning, cost development, and scheduling for assigned projects: Directs activities to ensure that construction, installation, and operational testing conform to functional specifications, recognized codes and standards, and customer requirements: Maintains effective communication with project team members and with the customer.
Specifically the Refrigeration Engineer, Food and Beverage is responsible for developing the front end engineering design including:
- Overall facility Refrigeration system design strategy
- Balance / Pressurization / Filtration / Humidity Control / Temperature as it relates to the Building and/or Process refrigeration requirements for Ammonia, CO2, Freon and other refrigeration system
- Overall secondary refrigeration system design strategy
- secondary refrigerant systems as it relates to the Building and/or Process refrigeration requirements as it relates to Chilled water, Glycol, Brine and freeze drying systems
- Preliminary general arrangement drawings
- Preliminary piping & Instrumentation Diagrams
- Preliminary control description
- Preliminary pipe size and materials list
- Preliminary equipment list
- Preliminary Tie-in list
- Under-slab heating design strategy
- Budget pricing from vendors on major pieces of equipment
- Preliminary specifications for primary refrigeration and secondary refrigeration system.
- Actively participate in industry organizations (IIAR / RETA / ASHRAE)
- Participate and lead Client meetings
- Review construction shop drawings; respond to RFI's, perform site visits
- Develop client relationships to support the needs for refrigeration projects
Physical Demands & Work Environment
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this position, the team member is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands and arms, reach, and talk or hear. They are regularly required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch. Must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 lbs, and occasionally lift or move up to 100 lbs. Specific vision abilities include accurate near and distant vision.
- Frequently in a normal office environment where noise level is moderate and temperature/humidity is controlled. Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and outside weather conditions. May be exposed to high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, extreme cold and/or heat, risk of electrical shock, explosives and vibrations. Noise level on the job site is normally moderate to loud. Overtime will be required. Travel will be required.
- May supervise project team members, as well as subcontractors.
- Our Company will be proactive in employing and advancing qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other protected status.