Project Superintendent (#10149) - Northern Virginia
Industry: Commercial Concrete & Tilt-Up
United Employment Group is seeking a Project Superintendent in Northern Virginia.
One of our major concrete construction clients is searching for a Project Superintendent. The Project Superintendent directly and through subordinate superintendents, oversees profitable installation of project work by directing co-workers and interfacing, coordinating and directing other trades. Responsible for all areas on medium or large projects including prime contracts, the Project Superintendent is responsible for safety, planning, cost and productivity, while perpetuating an SQP culture. Responsible for high-level client relationship through professional conduct.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Project Superintendent will act as co-leader with the PM in the transition, start-up, close-out and post-review. Other responsibilities will include:
- Reviewing the project documents to establish the most cost-effective way to build the project while considering the impact of safety, quality and schedule.
- Providing input in establishing budget and is held accountable for units agreed to in said budget.
- Providing input to project schedule and is held accountable for meeting that schedule.
- Participating and/or leads project LEAN pre-planning meetings and supplies input for short-term look ahead schedules.
- Responsible for manpower; interviews and assists in the selection process of new hires while following company recruitment and hiring guidelines.
The Project Superintendent will manage cost by adjusting crew size, the make-up of crew and manages cost by means and methods to address quality and efficiencies. Other responsibilities will include:
- Meeting with site staff daily to plan production, review schedules, materials, manpower needs, pre-and-post-pour checklists, and safety requirements.
- Anticipating and mitigating schedule/constructability conflicts with other trades.
- Supervising and coordinating layout of the work.
- Coordinating delivery of materials, equipment and services to maintain construction work schedule.
- Coordinating the installation of work for subcontractors and other trades to maintain construction schedule.
- Ensuring compliance with Company policies, local labor laws and labor agreements, where applicable.
- Assigning cost codes to time and quantities.
- Providing target and feedback information to the crews.
- Recommending and leading change by implementing measures to improve production results and equipment performance.
- Preparing and distributing short-term interval work schedules.
- Establishing and maintaining appropriate security for equipment.
- Using innovative thinking to advance our SQP culture through cutting-edge technology.
The Project Superintendent will supervise, train, evaluate and develop direct reports to ensure maximum return on investment, as well as:
- Ensure support managers within area of responsibility also supervise, train evaluate and develop their direct reports.
- Address complaints appropriately.
- Provide guidance, direction, coaching, and support to direct reports to maximize individual and overall department performance.
- Ensures support managers within area of responsibility also provide guidance, direction, etc. to their direct reports.
- Responsible for holding timely performance appraisals and progress reviews.
- Assists direct reports and staff in developing short and long-term goals that align with department and Company mission and strategy.
- Ensures direct reports and staff receive appropriate training that aligns with career development plans.
- Training may be remedial, “maintenance’, or geared to promotion.
- Takes appropriate action to develop direct reports including, but not limited to, preparing and monitoring career development plans, promotions, demotions, lateral moves, corrective action, and progressive discipline.
- Ensures support managers also take appropriate action with their staffs.
- Conducts department staff meetings and participates in developing initiatives, goals, objectives, systems, policies, and procedures.
- Ensures that staff receive timely and appropriate compensation.
- Collaborates with HR to ensure compliance with all employment laws, labor laws, and related Company policies; may be responsible for conducting training or coordinating workshops related to such compliance.
The Project Superintendent will serve as a company representative to maintain and enhance on-site client relations. Other responsibilities include gathering market intelligence to promote future business development through relationships with client and subcontractors and maintaining a “black book”.
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; and 6 years' related experience and/or training; or 15 years' related experience
- Line and Grade experience
- Foreman experience
- May require appropriate craft certifications
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business and technical documents, cost reports, legal and regulatory documents and plans, drawings, specifications, and scope of work
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of management, craftsmen and customers
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as cost benefit analysis
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- Ability to analyze and compute mathematical differences from all stages of drawings from conceptual to final drawings including development of shop drawings
- Ability to understand Cost Accounting
- Proficiency in Microsoft software programs such as Word and Excel
- Basic understanding of construction software such as Primavera, Timberline
- Ability to effectively present information to managers, clients, customers, and co-workers
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables (SQP)
- Knowledgeable of all phases of concrete construction, as well as all related construction
- Requires ability to maneuver in and out of job site trailers and various stages of job site terrains
- Must have the ability to exert physical effort, handling average weight objects up to 20 pounds
Our client offers an excellent salary and benefits package, as well as a chance to join a dynamic and growing organization.Apply for this position.