Project Engineer (#10138) - California
Industry: Design and Construction
The Project Engineer (PE) works in support of the Sr. Project Manager in developing engineering designs that will be used for sales bidding in an efficient and accurate manner.
The Project Engineer (PE) works in support of the Sr. Project Manager in developing engineering designs that will be used for sales bidding in an efficient and accurate manner. They further work in support of the Inside/Lead Project Manager, CAD Drafters and Superintendents ensuring job completion.
The PE contributes to ensuring engineering compliance. They plan, execute and finalize the project according to strict deadlines and within budget assisting with directing the short and long term planning, control and monitoring of project scheduling and implementation, program and project development, budget review and adherence. This includes acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of team members and third-party contractors or consultants in order to deliver projects according to plan. The Project Engineer will also define the project’s objectives and oversee quality control throughout its life cycle.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Engineering Productivity and Quality
- Modify drawings and assist with new drawing development.
- Assist in load calculations for buildings and processes common to refrigeration applications.
- Complete and detailed system design and analysis.
- Equipment selection
- Vessel sizing
- Pipe sizing and design
- Valve Selections
- Controls system specifications.
- Layout of equipment within a facility.
- Flow Diagrams
- Control wiring diagram
- Audit and evaluation of existing systems for troubleshooting, load verification, expansion calculations, etc.
- Basic AutoCad drafting
- Continually adhere to company standards for both Engineering and Estimating.
- Assist other areas/personnel regarding engineering assistance.
Attend Kickoff, Start-up, Design Review, 50% Job Completion and 100% Job Completion meetings.
Project Management Productivity and Quality
- Direct project development from beginning to end.
- Define project scope, goals and deliverables that support business goals in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders.
- Develop full-scale project plans.
- Effectively communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion.
- Set and continually manage project expectations with team members and other stakeholders.
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel.
- Identify and resolve issues and conflicts within the project team.
- Plan and schedule project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools.
- Track project milestones and deliverables.
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential crises and devise contingency plans.
- Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise project team members and contractors, and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work.
- Build, develop, and grow any business relationships vital to the success of the project.
- Coordinate RFI (Request for Information) process.
- Risk management.
- Balancing the competing demands for quality, scope, time and cost.
- Adapting the specifications, plans and approach to the different concerns and expectations of the various stakeholders.
- Attend Kickoff, 50% Job Completion, 100% Job Completion and Weekly Construction Meetings.
- Provide quality control in order to find and solve issues before they become liabilities.
- Maintain and provide information to clients, engineers and construction teams, insuring job progress.
- Organize and store all job information in such a way that protects company’s interest and provides easy access.
Maintain excellent customer relations.
Meet customers’ needs and expectations.
Develop partnerships with customers by setting and keeping achievable commitment dates, understanding customers’ product, requirements and style of operating. Make our customers’ vision/mission/goals, ours as well.
· Make decisions based on customer needs, desires and expectations and on company standards, not on personal preferences, style, or theory.
· Maintain free-flowing information and cooperation between customer and project team.
· Work with project team to find best approaches to handle customer requests.
· Work with the finance/administration personnel to ensure the flow of information they require to maintain billing, payables and collections is achieved.
Turn in costs to complete to inside project management bi-monthly.
Use resources in most effective manner (including sharing cost savings ideas with project management team).
Abide by approved budgets.
Some travel time may be required for meeting with clients/stakeholders.
· Consider importance of internal/external customer relationships when planning/conducting work.
· Provide support to the Director of Engineering, Division Manager, Lead Project Manager and Construction Superintendents.
The PE plays a central role in maintaining open communication and partnership with customers, suppliers, subcontractors and all company team members.
· All decisions/actions should contribute to achieving the company vision, mission and goals.
· Perform all duties in conformance to appropriate safety, security and company standards.
· Report to work at the scheduled time and seldom be absent from work. Complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and be conscientious about assignments.
· In accordance with company philosophy, the PE is expected to champion and direct continuous learning and improvement in all functions.
· Must follow company policy, procedures and supervisor instructions.
· Perform all other duties as requested by the Director of Engineering and the Lead Project Manager.
· The essential duties and responsibilities contained herein describe the scope of this position, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other areas to cover absences or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge in mechanical engineering, specifically Industrial Refrigeration.
· Extensive knowledge of piping practices and Apcco standards.
· Excellent interpersonal skills (communication, listening, team player, cooperative, approachable).
· Ability to assist in maintaining a positive team environment by maintaining a positive attitude toward all company team members, vendors and customers.
· Ability to multi task, manage stress and perform acceptably under pressure.
· Ability to participate effectively in a team atmosphere by modeling and promoting conflict resolution, diversity, ethical practices and organizational citizenship.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Drives continuous improvement.
· Ability to take a pro-active approach.
Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, clients, and other departments.
Adept at conducting research into project-related issues and products.
Sets/meets goals that support company strategic plan.
· Ability to effectively change tasks at a moment's notice when the situation requires (flexibility).
Ability to maintain a problem-solving mindset; to anticipate problems and to develop constructive and balanced solutions.
Must be able to learn, understand and apply new technologies.
Must become fluent in Microsoft Office, latest CAD programs, Microsoft Project and all other required computer programs and applications.
Excellent customer service skills.
Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial.
Ability to multi task, manage stress and perform acceptably under pressure.
Ability to operate general office equipment (Computer, printer, fax, copier, mailing center, etc.).
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· 4 years’ experience in mechanical systems installation and/or service.
· 3 years’ experience in refrigeration construction required.
· 3 years direct work experience in a project management capacity, including all aspects of process development and execution.
· Bachelor’s degree in engineering or construction preferred. 5 years’ experience of related work experience may be used in lieu of degree.
· An Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Engineering, Project Management, Construction or related field .
· Must have, and maintain, a current Professional Engineer license in good standing.
All employees who drive company owned vehicles or drive their own vehicle for company purposes must present and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clear DMV record that is insurable with our company vehicle insurance company.
ORGANIZATIONAL (AND OUTSIDE) RELATIONSHIPS:
Staff, vendors and customers.
Open staff room with constant activity and interaction with cross-functional divisions, departments and sections. Out in the field environment can be unpredictable; often hot or cold, noisy, rain, heat, heights, fumes, etc.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / REQUIREMENTS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that are necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Apply for this position.