PLC Technician (#11189) - FL
An aluminum extrusion plant is looking for a PLC tech.
Reports to engineering manager. Day shift position.
The Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) Tech applies electronic theory, principles of electrical circuits, electrical testing procedures, engineering mathematics, physics, and related knowledge to layout, build, test, troubleshoot, and repair manufacturing equipment. The PLC TECH also keeps the manufacturing facility and all production processes (the installation, repair, maintenance and troubleshooting of all machinery, tools and mechanical systems) mechanically operating at maximum rated capacity and producing quality products in a cost effective manner
• Observes functioning of installed equipment to detect hazards, problems, and the need for service, repair and/or replacement of electrical, electronic and mechanical components.
• Discusses performance issues and improvement ideas with Plant Engineer and Maintenance Manager.
• Reads and understands electronic and electrical schematics; draws sketches to clarify design details and functional criteria of electronic units.
• Recommends changes in circuitry of installation specifications to simplify assembly and maintenance.
• Required to maintain backups of programs from all electrical devices.
• Understands and is able to trouble-shoot and repair solid-state motor drives, solid-state temperature controllers, and computer-based controllers.
• Analyzes and interprets data from solid-state motor drives and controllers scope meters and other troubleshooting equipment.
• Adjusts, calibrates and aligns circuitry and components and records effects on unit performance.
• Must be able to check newly installed equipment to evaluate system performance under actual operating conditions.
• Ensures speed of repairs, minimizes downtime, avoids start-up glitches, promotes safety, provides staff training and addresses problems in a pro-active way
• Assist the Maintenance Manager in preventive maintenance programs
• Provides emergency response including equipment repair, situation stabilization and the mobilizing of resources as needed
• Provides staff training and development
• Ensures safe work practices and ensures a safe work environment
• Verifies and ensures the documentation of all repair records, preventive maintenance records and logs all filters and replacement parts
• Works closely with plant management and the production staff to ensure that production schedules and needs can be met because production machinery is operational
• Must be able to obtain forklift and aerial lift platform licenses.
• Keeps work area clean and orderly and free of hazards
• Must be able to work other shifts and overtime to complete work as needed.
• Employee must be willing to be on call to support production needs.
• Must have computer skills, with the capability to use email, compile reports and spreadsheets for parts and project tracking.
• Must be able to prepare technical reports for documenting issues/changes to equipment.
• Must be able to manage projects for implementing changes and improvements.
• Employee is responsible for their own work, and must exercise care and compliance of all established safety procedures.
• Employee must adhere to company safety policies (steel toed boots, glasses, etc.).
• May be required to work in somewhat disagreeable working conditions (heat, dirt, fumes, lubricants, etc.).
• Must be able to handle physical heavy lifting of materials/tools up to 30 pounds. Heavier materials may require assistance.
TOOL USAGE REQUIREMENTS:
• General hand tools.
• Various power tools such as, but not limited to, drill motors, saws all, band saw, hammer drill.
• Working knowledge in operation and maintenance of facility management services, blue print reading and equipment maintenance
• Must possess knowledge of OSHA requirements and Confined Space/Lock-Out Tag-Out requirements
• Must be computer literate with office, technical and parts and maintenance software packages
• Must have the ability to plan, organize, develop, implement and interpret programs, goals, objectives, policies and procedures
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Over five (5) years of experience within electronics field.
• Completion of an accredited apprenticeship.
• Associates degree in Electronics Technology or equivalent certification.
• Documented proficient working knowledge of Allen Bradley plc’s/controls/protocols platforms is required.