Maintenance Engineer (Off Shift) (#9776) - Mid West
SEEKING: Maintenance Engineer with a mix of mechanical and electrical skills with a heavy focus on PLC’s and controls.
The Shift Maintenance Engineer reports to the Corrective Maintenance Group Leader and is responsible for overseeing and coordinating daily maintenance tech activities, providing support to maintenance techs, and participating in projects to improve processes and reduce machine downtime. Primary responsibility is to troubleshoot, maintain, upgrade, and repair all plant mechanical, electrical, controls and automation systems and to provide high-level skills training to technical staff.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Manage daily activities of maintenance staff
Provide leadership, supervisory, and technical support to maintenance team
Specific Responsibilities of the Job
- Design, build and execute minor construction engineering projects which have direct and immediate improvement upon OEE and TDT without the use of outside contractors.
- Works directly with production associates, maintenance technicians, and supervisors to diagnose machine operation variations and equipment problems.
- Source parts from outside sources and procure parts using SAP system while adhering to all purchasing rules.
- Develop work scope for contract work, submit request for quote, analyze quotes, recommend preferred vendor, do proper paperwork to obtain a PO, schedule the work and manage the contractor on site then complete all necessary paperwork at end of project to include approving the final invoice.
- Plan, organize, direct, coordinate, and control maintenance shutdown activities.
- Plan, organize, direct, coordinate, and control maintenance activities.
- Provides operator training to all operations personnel to reduce process interruptions.
- Troubleshoots and repairs complex electrical equipment, including automated machines, robotics, controls, panels, relays, circuit breakers, communication systems, and drives.
- Installs electrical equipment: sizing conduit, sizing conductors, installing/bending conduit, wire pulling, panel and field terminating, control panel building, and tying into plant power.
- Installs electrical systems ranging from 24VDC to 12,470VAC.
- Diagnoses problems, replaces or repairs parts, detects and replaces defective components.
- Operates electrical hand tools and measuring devices.
- Works from blueprints, drawings, sketches or schematics.
- Visually inspects and tests machinery and equipment and performs routine, scheduled designated preventive maintenance.
- Dismantles defective machines and equipment and installs new or repaired parts.
- Manage the work order and PM management system.
- Develop A3 root cause analysis reports for excessive downtime.
- Assist with KPI data collection and analysis process to drive MTBF/MTTR improvements.
- Assist in managing non-stocked capital critical spare parts.
- Drive 5S results and performance.
- Schedule PM’s
- Provide robotic, PLC, and electrical support to maintenance staff.
- Communicate with other shift leaders to discuss updates and establish priorities.
- Participate in projects to improve processes and reduce downtime.
- Instruct and train in methods and procedures.
- Administrative supervisory responsibilities.
Other responsibilities and projects as specified.
Standards of Performance
- Effectively manages and supports maintenance team
- Leads skilled team to reduce technical downtime
- Increases OEE
Completes action items for improvements project
- Proficient in English Language
- Ability to lead and direct others
Walking in a manufacturing setting with multiple stairs and inclines
Education/Credentials/Certifications/Length of Experience
- Associates Degree in Industrial Maintenance, Electronics, Electricity or related field required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Electrical Engineering or related field preferred.
Supervisory Experience a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Strong knowledge of PLCs, robotics, electrical, and troubleshooting
- Working knowledge of programmable controllers and industrial robotics including Allen Bradley and Siemens PLC’s and ABB Robotics
- Working knowledge of techniques, materials, tools, and equipment used
- Advanced mechanical knowledge
- Knowledge of machine controls and operation
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal abilities
- Basic algebraic abilities as well as ability to read and interpret measurements
- Excellent reasoning and problem solving ability
- Ability to follow step-by-step instructions
- Ability to adapt to changing technologies and learn functionality of new equipment and systems
Ability to stay organized and establish priorities
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by any worker to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Job may require climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, handling, using fingers, feeling, repetitive motions, eye/hand/foot coordination, standing, sitting, walking, and hearing and smelling to perceive scents or sounds that could indicate a malfunction.
- Job may requirethe use of near acuity, far acuity, depth perception, accommodation, and peripheral vision.
- Environmental conditions may include exposure to weather conditions, extreme heat, contact with water or other liquids, noise, vibration, and atmospheric conditions.
- Hazards may include proximity to moving, mechanical parts, exposure to electrical components, and occasional work in high, exposed places.
- May require Medium Physical Strength*