Intermediate Estimator Civil (#8178) - Ontario, Canada
Industry: Construction Management
Industry: General Contractors
The Estimator is responsible for assisting in the preparation and documentation of cost estimates.
Intermediate Estimator, Civil
The Estimator is responsible for assisting in the preparation and documentation of cost estimates. Prepares quantity take-offs on materials, identifies requirements for purchased or leased equipment or subcontracted work as required in the bid tendering process. The Estimator is responsible for utilizing proper procedures and available tools in the preparation of an estimate.
• Builds and maintains a positive working relationship with the owners and owner’s agents, in support with the Business Acquisition department, by becoming familiar with project and recognizing owner’s proposal requirements
• Participates in the estimating process
• Assists in preliminary pricing of quantities and assists in preparation of General & Special Conditions cost estimate
• Reviews bonding and insurance requirements under the direction of the Chief Estimator
• Attends meetings, including pre-tender, bid strategy, pricing review and subcontractor scope review
• Understands the labour requirements for the project. Must obtain correct labour rates and appropriate “add-ons” (e.g. labour burdens, small tools, insurances, and bonding) to be used in preliminary pricing of quantities.
• Completes Bid Day tasks including, solicitation of subcontractors/suppliers, subcontractors/suppliers bid analysis, assisting the Chief Estimator, delivering bid before specified closing time, and maintaining confidentiality of subcontractor/supplier bid pricing
• Participates in turnover meetings to operations
• Participates in buy-out process on successful bids, under the direction of the Chief Estimator
• Develops and maintains relationships with key subcontractors and suppliers to ensure competitive pricing
• Interprets project drawings and specifications, analyzes blueprints, specifications, proposals and other documents
• Addresses addendums, change orders, etc.
Post-secondary degree/diploma in Engineering, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Construction Management or related field plus 2 to 5 years’ experience in estimating with some knowledge in heavy industrial; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Actively pursuing C.E.T. and/or GSC