Director of Metallurgy and Quality Control - Forging (#8445) - Illinois
We're searching for a Director of Metallurgy and Quality Control for a Forging facility in Illinois.
Provide operational and project support related to order processing and the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of processes and products that safely and cost-effectively meet or exceed customer demands for quality, consistency, and on-time performance.
Reports to the President and will solicit technical consultation from members of technical groups; interact directly with management and employees to develop solutions to meet customer demands, and work together with other members of the organization to collaborate on various projects and initiatives.
- Material testing, including knowledge of magnetic particle inspection.
- Interfacing with sales, manufacturing department, and customers as required.
- Provide metallurgical requirements for quoting.
- Review incoming orders for contract review, route sheet preparation and approval.
- Establish heat treat parameters to meet mechanical properties.
- Maintain library of customer and industry standard specifications.
- Participate in MRR meetings.
- Assist in maintaining Nadcap Certification for Heat Treatment and NDT (MPI).
- Participate in customer and third-party audits.
- Monitor customer quality standards and notify managers and supervisors of changes or new standards.
- Prepare test plans for new die configurations for sample preparation and modify existing die test plans when customer specifications or drawings are revised.
- Ensure personal compliance with safety policies and rules while promoting a culture of safety.
- Comply with applicable regulatory standards and report any issues to appropriate manager.
- Participate in safety observation program and incident and/or accident investigations as required.
Other duties as assigned.
- Experience with closed-die forgings and processing of carbon and alloy steels. Some experience with superalloys is a plus.
- Steel industry experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of aerospace requirements with aerospace experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with AS, ISO, National Standards and Industry Specifications.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize their importance.
- Knowledge/understanding and experience using problem-solving tools.
- Self-starter who can work independently and lead others when needed.
- Attention-to-detail inclination and mindset.
- Professional attitude.
- Complete multiple prioritized tasks with minimal direct supervision.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Computer skills including MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Ability to interact with associates on the floor and work with diverse work groups.
- Occasional flexibility in work hours may be required.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally infrequently to the customer, vendor, or other locations as required.
- Experience as a process metallurgist with emphasis on shop-floor activities preferred.
- B.S. in Metallurgical Engineering or Material Science required.