Controls Engineer (#8053) - Minnesota
Industry: Concrete Block, and Pavers
The Controls Engineer role is an exciting opportunity that combines a fast-paced, customer-facing facet, with a technical aspect that brings new challenges each day. This is a highly rewarding position where you will not only find variety on a daily basis, but also structure to grow your strengths.
As a Controls Engineer you will primarily work with software for the batching of concrete products. This position involves project work of many varieties such as handling customer technical and troubleshooting issues, designing and programming software enhancements and customer specific modifications.
• Design, develop, and maintain new batch features in RSLogix5000.
• Travel around the country and beyond to start batch systems and from time to time, attend trade shows. A typical startup trip would involve flying out on a Monday, returning home Friday and involves electrical, mechanical, and software troubleshooting, along with training of the customer’s operators.
• Provide customer service and tech support both on job sites and over a VPN connection.
• Travel to customer sites is required in this role - averaging at least 25% of the time, with times averaging 50% year-round (seasonal spikes expected).
• Recent experience (last 1-2 years) in programming, commissioning, troubleshooting and/or designing Control Systems (to include PLCs, HMI, etc.)
• 5 or more years of proven experience as a Controls Engineer/Controls Technician within a manufacturing environment is preferred.
• Willingness and ability to travel between 25-50%; heavier workloads may necessitate travel up to 75% in busy periods. Most travel is national, and some travel is to trade shows as well as clients. Some travel is international.
• Willingness and ability to climb a ladder and visually examine equipment not at ground level.
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
• A valid driver's license is required.
• Ability to sketch a systems circuit to spec.
• Ability to and experience in understand UL 508A control panel construction/design requirements.
• Ability to and experience in assisting the local electrician in troubleshooting wiring issues.
• Ability to answer questions over the phone with clients and handle customer complexity with poise and a calm demenor.
• Experience in a manufacturing setting, specifically related to the concrete batching industry.
• Extensive experience in RSLogix5000 is required
• BS Engineering Degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering; or two-year degree in related field with relevant work experience as defined above.
• Familiarity with VB.net or VB6, SQL Server, and SQL Server Reporting Services, and networking is preferred.
• The preferred candidate will possess strong internal & external communication skills with a solid working knowledge of all Microsoft® Office Suite programs.
• Advanced fluency in Spanish is a plus
• This position may include climbing ladders to examine equipment in a manufacturing plant.
• This position includes exposure to the elements, heights and may require bending or twisting.
• This position requires frequent travel (varies 25-75%)
• Work is conducted primarily as an independent party on a job site, working directly with customers.